ooga booga

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Uh...is it Thursday already?? Wow, where do I begin? Let's see, yesterday was slow. Felt like a real 9 to 5, if you know what I mean. But I went to an amazing french restaurant with a friend and had the best lunch of my life. My life! The french are beautiful. Ok, but the day BEFORE...now, that was SUPERB! It was a day like any other, I was already having a terrific morning doing my secretary-like things when all of a sudden my boss came up to me and said, "Grace. We're filming a documentary and we just got the rough draft. Would you mind taking a look at it and letting us know what you think?" Then she walked away in her newly sharpened pencil skirt and scarf. She wanted to know what I thought?? ME?? So I read frantically and made quite sure my notes looked professional enough, but went into the 2:30 meeting with my bosses not knowing quite what to say. When she asked what I thought I warned her that my opinions may seem silly but that i thought...blah blah blah...and she started writing it down! Writing it down! And then, even better, she agreed with me. What? I even liked what I was saying! Aaaaaah! This kinda stuff makes my day! It was even better than the Tuesday meetings we had last year when I got to say a word or two...

After feeling like I had been given enough responsibility to last me the week, I walked in today and was told my boss' assistant would be gone next week and I would have to take over. Since my dream is to be as much like a secretary from the 50's as possible, I grinned at this task. The jobs remind me of the Devil Wears Prada...except I actually like who I work for. All the same, I have to do things like replace all the newspapers on her desk with new ones before she gets in at 9:30 every morning, print off a copy of "the daily clips" for her to review before noon, reply to emails she doesn't care about, and other things of that sort. I think I will enjoy it. I soon returned to my desk and was given the job of calling people at different publications around the globe to set up or decline interviews...there were some straaaange names in the bunch! But then, like most days when I've started to feel bored, my boss had a job for me. A big one. Basically I was to write a letter to an organization in Ohio asking for $50,000 to complete a project that has to do with global nuclear security. I have to explain the documentary they're making and why they need this for that and so on and so forth. I'm scared shitless. I just hope I don't screw it up completely but who knows. I mean, could you say this e-mail is worth 50 thousand dollars? And that if I don't persuade them...I've lost NTI that much money?? No way, right? Oh my.

I think I'm going to go work on it now. And decide which dress I'm going to wear tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home