ooga booga

Monday, August 06, 2007

Yes, what you have heard is true. I have returned to NTI...and i must say it's pretty fantastic. i walked into the office this morning, complete with a brand new Tory Burch dress, Isaac Mizrahi shoes, and rockin' new bangs to find that they all remembered me. And i really don't know how that happened. It was funny, though, to see certain people who had worked in cubicles last year moved into a new office the size of my bedroom this year. For instance, I...ahem...have a new desk where my boss' old assistant used to sit. Crazy, right? I mean I don't have my name engraved in gold or anything but I do have my own bottle of Purell sitting next to my computer. Anyway, after being introduced at the staff meeting and talking to the Senator for a while...i was put to work! The president of NTI is going on vacation for the next three weeks and is coming back to make a speech so he has put me in charge of gathering notes on nuclear energy and global security so he can write it. Honestly, I'm way more excited about this than I should be. But then, in the middle of my "research", my idol, Sarah Lawrence grad, and Vice President of Communications came up to me and said these exact words: "Hey, Grace, when you get a second would you mind finding out if Congress has released a floor statement of Senator Obama's new nonproliferation bill with Hagel yet**? Thanks!" and then walked away. "Uh...yeah...sure...no prob...i'll get right on that!!! yeah...no...thank YOU!!" i think was my articulate reply. In my head it was more like "...?!?!?!..." Crap. I figured it out, though, and made up for sounding like a goober. Phewph. Then I found my sanctuary in the copy room and sent copies of what they call "the daily clips" to 300 people. It was kind of exciting, actually. One button. Three hundred people. Blew my mind. Then I returned to my Google-ing for speeches on Russian nuclear weapons and such and ended up taking about 56 million articles home to read and re-read. I think I've learned more on my first day back than...from watching The Golden Girls during the rest of the summer. Felt nice! But, yeah, now I'm home and sleepier than sleepy. Day two coming soon!

**The bill with Hagel has not been passed yet, but was introduced on August 3 and has been reviewed twice. Good luck Obama!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jillian Switzer said...

LOVE IT! GO GRACE GO!

I have to admit that I'm mildly jealous of your fabulous life in DC. After all, here I sit in a cubicle all day that, despite my earnest attempts to jazz it up, still looks more like a dirtied cement sidewalk than an inspiring work atmosphere. And, after starting my summer in a Marc Jacobs denim bubble skirt and my favorite orange tank top from Anthropologie, I have now resigned myself to wearing the jeans I wear on "ugly days" and statements tees that probe our nation's most urgent issues ("What if this was the only tree left to hug?" featuring the picture of a pine tree air freshener). So, please keep blogging. I beg of you. I can only sign onto facebook so often in one given day, and I'm afraid to ask for more to do because then I'll actually have to be intellectually involved instead of wasting away the hours with mindless, summer-friendly clerical activities.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

Jillian,

Please start a blog yourself on your own summer's activities. I have it on good authority you have an excellent mind.

Though I also understand you compromised yourself with Marc Jacobs to get that skirt...

Best wishes.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home