ooga booga

Monday, July 24, 2006

First day.

I walked into 1747 Pennsylvania Ave. this morning at 8:45 am. I was greeted by a woman who looked very official. I went to her desk and she told me the procedure of signing in, visitor's pass, and such. She asked me my point of contact and as I said my new boss' name and told this woman it was my very first day of work her scowl vanished. She burst into a southern accent. "Ooooooh honey! Well aren't you going to have a WONDERFUL day!! They are sooo nice up there!!! Now, you look for a woman named Lucia and you tell her you know Ms. Shirley from downstairs and she will take good care of you, alright hon?...Aren't you excited?!?! Oooooooh my!!"

So, after becoming best friends with the security guard in the lobby, I ran upstairs just in time for my first meeting. The first person I met was a model-like woman named Mariah. MARIAH!!!! I'd never met a "real" Mariah before, I've just spent the last 8 years of my life obsessing over a goddess-like wonder named Mariah Carey. Yup, that was my first sign that work would be good.

After a tour, we went straight to the conference call. Senator Sam Nunn was on the phone in the middle of the table and Mr. Curtis went around asking everybody what they had to report for the week. After listening to people talk about events that had raised thousands of dollars and Senators that might be dropping by, I was introduced as the new intern. "The rising junior at Episcopal School of Dallas....all the way from Texas. Some of you might have worked with her grandfather...Jim Reeder" Well, everyone starts chuckling and the Senator says "Did he give you any jokes to tell?? Eh?? ...Did you bring any of his jokes to the office with you today??? Man alive, that Mr. Reeder is notorious for being the best storyteller in town! Phew, his own granddaughter. You are one lucky lady, glad to have ya."

Hmmm...so, I found my desk to be near the biological warfare research committee. Yes, you're right, that means I am one corner away from the other intern, James. The British college student aka Pretty Boy. I began an organization project and made more copies than any human can count. My "boss" took me out to lunch and we talked about politics and my brothers. She's my new favorite person.

I'm pretty sure I'm known as the baby in the office. The high school kid who doesn't use a cart to carry the videos back to her desk...don't ask. I have to keep a notebook so I can remember names of people I've just met. Hannah, blue Carolina Herrera suit, big office, small nose...

It's nice to do mind-numbing but helpful jobs and have free access to any conversations or meetings held in the office. So far, so good is all I've got to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home